Careers with Canaccord Genuity Wealth Management
- Are you looking to work for an organisation that is small enough to allow you to really make your mark and ensure you are recognised, yet big enough to offer you long-term career development?
- Are people and relationships important to you?
- Are you approachable and friendly?
- Does working in a collaborative environment to deliver a brilliant client experience feel like the sort of place you want to be?
Here at Canaccord Genuity Wealth Management, we pride ourselves on our special culture and being able to offer rewarding, challenging and interesting roles.
You are highly motivated, results oriented, enthused by your work, and devoted to your colleagues and clients. You like to push boundaries, embrace change, find better ways of doing things – and as well as working as part of a team, have a passion to excel and achieve individual success.
If you are looking for a caring, friendly environment where you can develop your skills, we are always interested in recruiting new colleagues with fresh ideas, energy and talent.
Your welfare and progress will be a top priority for us, and we will ensure you have opportunities to make your mark within the company.
We are a dynamic, growing brand with big ambitions. We are part of Canaccord Genuity Group Inc., a publicly traded company under the symbol CF on the Toronto Stock Exchange. Established in 1950, it is now a leading global financial services firm, operating in wealth management and capital markets.
The Canaccord Genuity Wealth Management business in the UK and Europe was established when the Group acquired Collins Stewart Hawkpoint plc and Eden Financial in 2012.
Now, in the UK and Europe, we provide large numbers of high net worth clients with expert wealth management to help them reach their objectives. Our investment management and wealth planning specialists work in combined teams to ensure these services dovetail together holistically.
In July 2021, leading global investment firm HPS Investment Partners agreed to invest in our UK wealth management division on behalf of the investment accounts and funds it manages. HPS has over US$68bn of assets under management, invested in both large and small companies across a variety of industries and sectors. It expects to be a strategic partner to CGWM UK on future acquisitions and growth opportunities as we continue to expand and grow the business.
At the end of 2021 our division managed nearly £33.3bn of assets under management, administration, and management contract (as at 30 June 2022). We now have over 750 colleagues, including more than 300 client-facing professional advisers across 16 offices.
As part of our long-term strategy to develop our integrated wealth management business, in mid 2022 we acquired Punter Southall Wealth, with assets of around £5bn and 25 financial planners. This brings us an increased footprint nationwide, as well as increasing our size and scale.
Our CGWM values
These drive our behaviour at all times, towards our clients, colleagues, partners and suppliers. We are always:
We take responsibility for carrying out our roles efficiently and enthusiastically, to meet and exceed our clients’ expectations and deliver results.
We’re all working hard to keep our brand promise and live by our brand values. By being aligned with our colleagues and recognising that diverse teams create better business outcomes, we can focus on delivering those outcomes and a brilliant experience for our clients.
We are constantly working towards being first in our field, and strive for success both individually and as a business. We believe we will achieve this by focusing on our clients’ needs.
We want everyone to feel they belong. We welcome clients, intermediaries and colleagues of diverse backgrounds, and we encourage friendly dialogues.
These four ‘As’ are embedded within our business and influence everything we do, from performance reviews to the way we talk about ourselves.
We exist to serve our clients, to protect and grow their wealth, and to earn their loyalty.
That is our mission statement, which guides everything we do at CGWM. We have grown fast and achieved success thanks to our belief in putting our clients first and creating close, trusting relationships with them. Our CGWM brand promise to our clients is:
Build your wealth with confidence.
... and our vision is:
To bring our clients the best experience and return from their wealth.
Why choose Canaccord?
We are constantly growing and developing our business, and you will be able to grow and develop your skills with us. We will offer you new challenges while consolidating your existing talents and building on your experience.
A great working environment
- Career development: we offer targeted plans to support your progress
- Stability: we coped well with the effects of the coronavirus pandemic
- Our commitment to ESG (environmental, social, and governance) business principles: including diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I), as well as climate action and sustainability (CA&S); we also run a market-leading ESG portfolio service
- Workplace flexibility: if you need hybrid or adaptable working arrangements, we can organise that for you.
Plus, of course, excellent remuneration packages, including discretionary bonuses and pension contributions.
You will also benefit from life assurance, income protection and private medical insurance. Optional benefits include dental cover, flu jabs, Tastecard membership and a share purchase plan.
Building client relationships
- Specialist resources: we have considerable resources in financial planning and investment management, which ensures you can draw on the expertise and research of our specialists whenever you need them
- Control: we have our own in-house back-office operations, based in Blackpool and Guernsey, which lets us control and enhance our clients’ experience
- Business opportunities: our independent financial planners have access to our investment management clients, who may not have a financial planner but often have complex and urgent needs
- Bespoke and centralised portfolios for our clients: we offer a range of different investment platforms to suit each client’s individual needs, including our Managed Portfolio Service, Passive Portfolio Service and IHT planning
- State-of-the-art technology and systems: we have invested considerably in our Avaloq investment system (and are still making improvements), to free up time for client relationship management.
Why our colleagues stay with CGWM for years
The loyalty and sustained contribution of our employees has been a key factor in our success as an outstanding wealth management business.
When you join us, you will be part of our journey towards even greater success. Many of our colleagues have been with Canaccord for nine years or more – an impressive record in our industry. Here are some of the reasons they give:
- Challenging, meaningful work: their roles are inspiring, engaging and constantly evolving
- They like being part of a successful business which is enjoying organic growth
- They feel their jobs are secure; we are a well established firm and remained stable during the pandemic
- They feel genuinely appreciated – for example by our ‘giving thanks’ system where people can show their appreciation to their colleagues via our intranet’s employee recognition page
- They enjoy our dynamic, fast-paced environment
- They share our commitment to ESG, diversity and sustainability.
We carry out quarterly engagement surveys to gain insight into our colleagues’ satisfaction and give them a platform for sharing their views. We then identify and act on any areas where we could do better.
Each employee has an appraisal meeting twice a year, as well as one-to-one meetings at least monthly, to ensure everyone is happy with their careers and goals. We also celebrate long-service milestones with appropriate financial rewards.
We also believe in involving everyone from the top down. Our CEO, David Esfandi, does not sit in an ivory tower, ignoring what goes on in the workplace; he holds regular CEO lunches where he invites a group of employees to lunch and asks them what they feel works and what can be improved. He follows these lunches with action points and status updates, letting employees know how their voice has helped with changes and growth at Canaccord.
Our International business is run by Andy Finch, who joined the firm over 20 years ago. Andy hosts quarterly in-person updates, actively participates in our sports and social events, and can be regularly found in the kitchen making teas and coffees.
All our colleagues can apply to participate in various committees and action groups, discussing matters such as ESG; diversity, equity and inclusion; and business development.
A supportive culture
We believe in nurturing our employees, with emphasis on their wellbeing and mental health. The last couple of years have been stressful for everyone; we are well aware of this, and have put systems in place to provide support and make sure nobody ‘falls through the net’. Our caring culture includes:
- #wecandothis – our award-winning way of providing mental and physical wellbeing support for colleagues during lockdown
- Mental health awareness training for managers so they can foster a culture of psychological safety
- 'Random acts of kindness day’ email followed by a gift for all colleagues
- Training resources available to all
- Designated mental health first aid champions in all office locations (with training available to any new office locations)
- Regular mental health and wellbeing updates, including ‘Wellbeing Wednesday’ emails during the pandemic, and ‘Blue Monday’ emails giving advice and listing the resources available.
Diversity, equity and inclusion
At CGWM, we want everyone to feel they belong. We also recognise that diverse teams bring a wider range of ideas, leading to better results.
We carry out regular initiatives for all colleagues to ensure we all understand what being an inclusive employer means to us, and we are working to grow and support a diverse employee base.
Talk to us about your future
If you believe you would be a good fit at Canaccord, and you would like to talk to us about a role here, get in touch. We’ll be delighted to tell you where we have opportunities and how we can structure a package that’s right for you.
Then we’ll look forward to welcoming you to our exciting, forward-moving team.
For our UK offices: firstname.lastname@example.org
For our international offices: InternationalHR@canaccord.com
Investment involves risk and you may not get back what you invest. It’s not suitable for everyone.
Investment involves risk and is not suitable for everyone.