Inheritance tax planning service
Specialist IHT portfolio service
Do you know how much inheritance tax (IHT) your clients may have to pay on their estates? Inheritance tax is paid on the value of your clients’ estates when they die, but it can also apply to some gifts they make during their lifetimes. Careful and expert inheritance tax planning now is vital to ensure your clients are able to pass on more of their wealth to the people and causes they choose.
Our inheritance tax planning and IHT portfolio services are all about passing on as much of an estate as possible, while also giving your clients flexibility and control over their arrangements.
Our inheritance tax calculator
Your clients can use this useful tool to help calculate their inheritance tax.
Calculate your inheritance tax
IHT is payable on the value of anything you leave behind when you die. The IHT rate is 40% and due on any amount above £325,000 for an individual.
*This assumes that you're not entitled to the residence nil-rate band, that your assets will not qualify for business relief and that you’ve not made any gifts in the last seven years.
Your email submission has been successful
We hope that your report provides motivation to keep building confidence in your financial future. We know it can be a daunting task so if you have any questions, please call one of our wealth planning experts.
Independent inheritance tax planning experts
Effective inheritance tax planning is a considered and precise process that forms part of a comprehensive wealth strategy encompassing all of your clients’ goals and assets. Our highly qualified Wealth Planners are not tied to any specific product or provider (not even Canaccord Genuity), so they can consider a broad range of solutions and make sure they have the best structures in place to meet their financial objectives.
IHT planning and passing wealth – how we can help
Our Wealth Planners will spend time with you and your clients to make sure they understand your clients’ personal goals and plans for their heirs, as they could affect the inheritance tax payable on their estates. They will then develop a forward-thinking strategy to help your clients achieve their objectives, comfortably maintain their lifestyles and legitimately manage the IHT due on their estates.
Importantly, they will also advise on the right order to do things in, so as not to harm your clients’ IHT positions or impact other areas of their wealth planning.
Our inheritance tax planning services include:
- Cash flow modelling – Using cash flow modelling to create a robust forecast of your clients’ future income and expenditure, so they don’t spend or give away more than they can afford
- Making the most of allowances – Making the most of all the allowances available to your clients to maximise tax efficiency, such as those gifts no longer included in their estates for IHT purposes, even if they die within seven years of making them
- Gifting excess income and assets – Working with you and your clients to decide what income and assets they can comfortably afford to give away, to reduce the amount of their estates that may be liable for IHT
- Specialist investments – Advising on how certain investments can be used to reduce inheritance tax while offering growth potential to enhance your clients’ legacies. If your clients already invest through our investment management service, our Wealth Planners will work closely with their Investment Manager to restructure their portfolio.
Inheritance tax portfolio service
Canaccord Genuity’s own IHT portfolio is a simple and efficient strategy for managing IHT, as many Alternative Investment Market (AIM) shares benefit from business relief and offer growth potential.
It invests in a diversified range of established profitable companies chosen from the AIM. Once an investor has held an investment in certain AIM companies for two years, it no longer counts as part of an estate for IHT purposes, which is favourable compared to the seven-year rule for gifts and simple trust transfers.
Why choose our IHT portfolio service?
- We have a strong track record for delivering superior investment returns
- We actively manage the portfolio for your clients to ensure the chosen investments are always suitable and working hard for them
- Investing in AIM lets your clients take advantage of a dynamic market of growing businesses
- Each client’s inheritance tax portfolios can be included in their annual ISA allowance, so they benefit from tax-free growth
- They will be kept regularly updated with contract notes and quarterly formal valuations.
This service should be regarded as high risk as it is exclusively focused on equities. The portfolios are wholly invested in small capitalisation stocks. These companies are therefore more volatile and whilst they offer great potential, growth is not guaranteed. It is important to note that this should be seen as a long-term investment. The current inheritance tax rules and tax treatment of AIM shares may change in the future. We strongly recommend that clients discuss their financial arrangements with their tax adviser before investing, as the value of any tax reliefs available is subject to individual circumstances.
Investment involves risk. The value of investments and the income from them can go down as well as up and you may not get back the amount originally invested. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance.
Our portfolios are designed to work over a typical investment cycle of 7-10 years, so we recommend you stay invested for at least seven years.
The information provided is not to be treated as specific advice. It has no regard for the specific investment objectives, financial situation or needs of any specific person or entity.
To find out more about our IHT Portfolio Service, request a call back from our dedicated intermediaries now.
More on inheritance tax
With our families’ future financial wellbeing always in the back of our minds, we’d all welcome legitimate ways to manage inheritance tax (IHT) liability. One way to do this is by investing in the Alternative Investment Market (AIM).Read more
This was never going to be an easy message for a Chancellor to deliver. The economy is in recession and yet tax rises and tight public spending are now the order of the day.Read more
In this article, Head of UK Financial Planning, David Goodfellow, explores the two scenarios that can cause you to pay the 60% tax rate and provides our top tips if you are caught by them.Read more
How can we help?
If you would like to know more about how our IHT Portfolio Service can help your clients, or want to speak to one of our team, get in touch. We will be delighted to give you more details.
Investment involves risk and you may not get back what you invest. It’s not suitable for everyone.
Investment involves risk and is not suitable for everyone.