Inheritance tax planning and portfolio service
An important aspect of estate planning is ensuring your family, friends and favourite causes inherit as much of your wealth as possible. This is where careful and effective inheritance tax planning can make a big difference.
Effective IHT planning is a considered and precise process, that forms part of a comprehensive wealth strategy encompassing all of your goals and assets. Our highly qualified wealth planning experts will work closely with you to formulate a holistic plan that provides you with a sustainable level of retirement income, while also giving you access to your capital when you need it.
Canaccord Genuity Wealth Management’s independent wealth planning service is not tied to any specific products or providers, which means we are free to consider all the available options and make sure you have the best structures in place to meet your financial objectives.
IHT planning and passing wealth – how we can help
Your dedicated wealth planner will spend time making sure they understand your personal goals and plans for your heirs, as they could affect the inheritance tax payable on your estate. They will then develop a forward-thinking strategy to achieve your objectives, comfortably maintain your lifestyle and legitimately manage the IHT due on your estate.
Importantly, they will also advise you on the right order to do things in, so as not to harm your IHT position or impact other areas of your wealth planning.
Our IHT planning services include:
- Cash flow modelling– Using cash flow modelling to create a robust forecast of your future income and expenditure, so you don’t spend or give away more than you can afford.
- Making the most of your allowances - Making the most of all the allowances available to you, to maximise tax efficiency, such as those gifts no longer included in your estate for IHT purposes, even if you die within seven years of making them.
- Gifting excess income and assets – Working with you to decide what income and assets you can comfortably afford to give away, to reduce the amount of your estate liable for IHT.
- Specialist investments – Advising on how certain investments can be used to reduce inheritance tax while offering growth potential to enhance your legacy. If you already invest through our investment management service, your wealth planner will work closely with your investment manager to restructure your portfolio.
Calculate your inheritance tax
IHT is payable on the value of anything you leave behind when you die. The IHT rate is 40% and due on any amount above £325,000 for an individual.
*This assumes that you're not entitled to the residence nil-rate band, that your assets will not qualify for business relief and that you’ve not made any gifts in the last seven years.
Inheritance tax portfolio service
Canaccord Genuity’s own IHT portfolio is a simple and efficient strategy for managing IHT as it benefits from business relief and offers growth potential.
It invests in a diversified range of established, profitable companies chosen from the Alternative Investment Market (AIM). Once you've held an investment in certain AIM companies for two years, it no longer counts as part of your estate for IHT purposes, which is favourable to the seven-year rule for gifts and simple trust transfers.
Why choose our IHT Portfolio Service?
- We have a strong track record for delivering superior investment returns
- We actively manage the portfolio to ensure the chosen investments are always suitable and working hard for you
- Investing in AIM lets you take advantage of a dynamic market of growing businesses
- Your inheritance tax portfolio can be included in your annual ISA allowance, so you benefit from tax-free growth
- You will be kept regularly updated with contract notes and quarterly formal valuations.
This service should be regarded as high risk as it is exclusively focused on equities. The portfolios are wholly invested in small capitalisation stocks. These companies are therefore more volatile and whilst they offer great potential, growth is not guaranteed. It is important to note that this should be seen as a long-term investment. The current inheritance tax rules and tax treatment of AIM shares may change in the future. We strongly recommend that clients discuss their financial arrangements with their tax adviser before investing, as the value of any tax reliefs available is subject to individual circumstances.
To find out more about our IHT Portfolio Service, request a call back from an independent wealth planner now.
Other wealth planning solutions
Comprehensive wealth planning
A full review of your finances, leading to a personal wealth management plan.
Bespoke planning, pension advice and cash flow modelling to achieve the retirement you want.
Long-term care planning
Holistic advice on achieving the right financial plan to see you comfortably through the rest of your life.
More on inheritance tax
Did you save money during the COVID-19 pandemic? In this article we consider what you could do with your extra cash.Read more
With inflation creeping up and interest rates at a low, the real value of cash is falling. Read our five questions to ask to protect your cash from inflation.Read more
If you have decided to invest some of your savings in a diversified investment portfolio to protect your wealth from inflation, you may be wondering how much to invest and how much to keep in cash. We have some key points to consider when making your decision.Read more
How can we help?
If you would like to know more about our IHT Portfolio Service, or want to speak to one of our team, get in touch. We will be delighted to give you more details.
IMPORTANT: Investment involves risk. The value of investments and the income from them can go down as well as up and you may not get back the amount originally invested. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance.