Investment management for US citizens living in the UK
- Stress-free investing for US expats living in the UK
- Dedicated US Investor Services team to look after you and your wealth
- Over 60 years combined experience in US expat investing
- Specialists in the UK and North America
- 24/7 account access via our CG Wealth Online service
- Quarterly reports and valuations
Investment involves risk. The value of investments and the income from them can go down as well as up and investors may not get back the amount originally invested. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future returns.The investments described here may not be suitable for all investors. Investors should make their own investment decisions based upon their own financial objectives and financial resources and, if in any doubt, should seek advice from an investment adviser.
There are many potential pitfalls for a US expat investing in the UK but it’s important you stay on track with your investments to meet your long-term financial goals, and our specialist investment management team is ready to help you do so.
Navigating the complexities of cross-border investing, as well as the rules around Passive Foreign Investment Companies (PFICs) and the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) makes investing for US expats even more challenging. So much so that it has led to many foreign financial institutions turning away US citizens.
Canaccord Genuity Wealth Management is an exception. We have been acting for US expats for many years. We understand the specific challenges you face and have the knowledge, experience and capability to make the right investment decisions on your behalf, while also taking responsibility for ensuring your investments are compliant across borders.
Dedicated US expat investment service
Our dedicated US Investor team provides a comprehensive investment management service exclusively for US citizens resident in the UK, including:
- Specialist investment management tailored to your dual UK and US needs
- Discretionary portfolio management in both US dollars and sterling
- Dealing in US equity and fixed income markets as well as most global markets
- Custody in the UK, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man
- US tax year accounting in dollars
- Provision for reporting income and trading activity for both US and UK tax years.
We take into consideration your:
- US interests and worldwide assets, including your pension arrangements
- Currency requirements and whether you want to hold investments in sterling, dollars, euros, other currencies, or a mix of several
- Requirements for direct exposure to US markets, via municipal bonds or US equities
- Your accounting needs.
As we do not offer tax advice, we will work closely with your tax, accountancy, or legal advisers to ensure your investments are compliant across jurisdictions and structured to enable the best possible outcomes for you.
Any tax benefits depend upon the investor’s individual circumstances and clients should discuss their financial arrangements with their own tax adviser before investing. The levels and basis of taxation may be subject to change in the future.
Why choose our specialist US Investor service?
- Extensive experience - we have over 60 years' combined experience managing assets for US expats and 20 years’ working for major Wall Street brokerage firms.
- Single point of contact in the same time zone - our London-based team will look after your investments and be your main point of contact
- Transatlantic know-how – we have local expertise and knowledge on tap through our 8 offices in the US
- Holistic approach - we can ensure your investments work tax-efficiently from both a UK and US perspective
- High calibre research - we have extensive research teams operating in North America and the UK
Where investment is made in currencies other than the investor’s base currency, the value of those investments, and any income from them, will be affected by movements in exchange rates. This effect may be unfavourable as well as favourable.
The information provided here is not tailored advice – it has no regard for the specific investment objectives, financial situation or needs of any specific person.
Watch our specialist Investment Manager, Roy Clouse talking about helping Americans living in the UK to invest wisely and efficiently.
Book a freeconsultation with an Investment Manager
What happens next?
1. Arranging an initial consultation
First you can expect to receive an email from our team within 48 hours to find a suitable time that works for you, to arrange a voice or video call for an initial consultation.
2. Your consultation
During this consultation, a member of the team will discuss your situation with you to understand your requirements and answer any questions you might have about Canaccord Genuity Wealth Management and the services that we provide.
3. Referral to a Wealth Planner or Investment Manager
If you decide to progress with us, you will be referred to one of our Wealth Planners or Investment Managers to discuss your situation and requirements in more detail. They will then design a bespoke proposal detailing a unique investment portfolio that matches your individual requirements and attitude to risk, to meet you and your family’s needs.
4. Working with you long-term
With our wealth planning and investment management professionals, your wealth is in expert hands. Our mission is simple - to help you build your wealth with confidence. We will always keep you informed about your investment portfolio and performance and will continue to work with you to build our relationship on your terms. We can meet with you face-to-face, by phone or by email, whichever is more convenient for you. You can also access your account online at any time through our app. Our wealth management professionals are always readily available to speak with you.
How can we help?
If you would like to know more about our services for US citizens resident in the UK, or want to speak to one of our team, get in touch. We will be delighted to give you more details.
Keeping you informed
Both healthcare and infrastructure stocks had a mediocre 2022 and, for the most part, a difficult 2023. However, we’re pleased to say we believe the case for investment in both remains almost entirely as strong as it was before the period of poor performance.Read more
Investment involves risk and you may not get back what you invest. It’s not suitable for everyone.
Investment involves risk and is not suitable for everyone.