Investment management for US citizens living in the UK
- Stress-free investing for US expats living in the UK
- Dedicated US Investor Services team to look after you and your wealth
- Over 60 years combined experience in US expat investing
- Specialists in the UK and North America
- 24/7 account access via our CG Wealth Online service
- Quarterly reports and valuations
Investment involves risk. The value of investments and the income from them can go down as well as up and investors may not get back the amount originally invested. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future returns.The investments described here may not be suitable for all investors. Investors should make their own investment decisions based upon their own financial objectives and financial resources and, if in any doubt, should seek advice from an investment adviser.
There are many potential pitfalls for a US expat investing in the UK but it’s important you stay on track with your investments to meet your long-term financial goals, and our specialist investment management team is ready to help you do so.
Navigating the complexities of cross-border investing, as well as the rules around Passive Foreign Investment Companies (PFICs) and the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) makes investing for US expats even more challenging. So much so that it has led to many foreign financial institutions turning away US citizens.
Canaccord Genuity Wealth Management is an exception. We have been acting for US expats for many years. We understand the specific challenges you face and have the knowledge, experience and capability to make the right investment decisions on your behalf, while also taking responsibility for ensuring your investments are compliant across borders.
Dedicated US expat investment service
Our dedicated US Investor team provides a comprehensive investment management service exclusively for US citizens resident in the UK, including:
- Specialist investment management tailored to your dual UK and US needs
- Discretionary portfolio management in both US dollars and sterling
- Dealing in US equity and fixed income markets as well as most global markets
- Custody in the UK, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man
- US tax year accounting in dollars
- Provision for reporting income and trading activity for both US and UK tax years.
We take into consideration your:
- US interests and worldwide assets, including your pension arrangements
- Currency requirements and whether you want to hold investments in sterling, dollars, euros, other currencies, or a mix of several
- Requirements for direct exposure to US markets, via municipal bonds or US equities
- Your accounting needs.
As we do not offer tax advice, we will work closely with your tax, accountancy, or legal advisers to ensure your investments are compliant across jurisdictions and structured to enable the best possible outcomes for you.
Any tax benefits depend upon the investor’s individual circumstances and clients should discuss their financial arrangements with their own tax adviser before investing. The levels and basis of taxation may be subject to change in the future.
Why choose our specialist US Investor service?
- Extensive experience - we have over 60 years' combined experience managing assets for US expats and 20 years’ working for major Wall Street brokerage firms.
- Single point of contact in the same time zone - our London-based team will look after your investments and be your main point of contact
- Transatlantic know-how – we have local expertise and knowledge on tap through our 8 offices in the US
- Holistic approach - we can ensure your investments work tax-efficiently from both a UK and US perspective
- High calibre research - we have extensive research teams operating in North America and the UK
Where investment is made in currencies other than the investor’s base currency, the value of those investments, and any income from them, will be affected by movements in exchange rates. This effect may be unfavourable as well as favourable.
The information provided here is not tailored advice – it has no regard for the specific investment objectives, financial situation or needs of any specific person.
Watch our specialist Investment Manager, Roy Clouse talking about helping Americans living in the UK to invest wisely and efficiently.
How can we help?
If you would like to know more about our services for US citizens resident in the UK, or want to speak to one of our team, get in touch. We will be delighted to give you more details.
Keeping you informed
Volatility is rattling markets as we write, with concerns about inflation, interest rates and economic growth. Although it is impossible to forecast short-term movements in risk assets, it is possible already to see how there might be opportunities to take investment risks in the near future.Read more
Read our investment experts’ take on the global semiconductor shortage and the opportunities this may create for investors.Read more
What could rising inflation and low economic growth mean for the markets and investors in 2022? Here’s the latest from our investment experts.Read more
Investment involves risk and you may not get back what you invest. It’s not suitable for everyone.
Investment involves risk and is not suitable for everyone.